Friday, February 8, 2013

All About: Jordan Reed, Owner/Creator of Lone Reed Designs


1. How did you get into fashion and danceware design?- I have always been into fashion since I was a little girl. My mom still tells me stories of when I was 4 or 5 and I would change my outfit 4 times a day... I find joy in clothes and being a little daring and different with what I wear and what I design. I think it is just another way to express myself and show who I am as a person. Dancewear came a little later. My second year in the company at Houston Ballet my mom bought me a sewing machine for my birthday. I remember going online and looking on weird forums on how to sew leotards and stretchy fabric and went balls to the wall and attempted my first leotard from there. Surprisingly enough, that leotard it is still living today!! My passion re-developed a year and a half ago when I decided to try and follow my first sewing pattern. I worked for 6 hours straight on this vintage vogue dress made out of a fun wool that I found at high fashion fabrics for half off. I was immediately obsessed. After a year of sewing and designing, I decided to open an ETSY shop where I could make my designs more accessible to people and dancers outside of Houston.

2. Who inspires you?- Well less who, and more what... Anything vintage... I think there is nothing more beautiful than old vintage photographs. Looking at them makes my mind swell with excitement and gives me so much inspiration. Whether it is a city scape from 1920 or a photo of bathing babes on the beach in the 50's, there is something so tasteful and classic than inspires me to create something just as such.

3. What are you currently reading?- Well, most of my extra time is spent doing something with my hands which doesn't leave a lot of time for reading (unless it's a pattern!!) But one book that I always keep by my side is Walk Whitman's "Leaves of Grass". It is the perfect book to pick up and turn to a random page and read a few beautiful poems. 

4. Coffee or tea?- Coffee to the death.

5. Early bird or night owl?- 150% early bird.

6. Favorite beauty product of the moment?- Bite lipstick from Sephora. It's the best lipstick on the planet.

7. Favorite magazine?- You know, I've been really mad at magazines the past couple years. They make me so angry with all the adds, but one that I thought was pretty cool was Organic Lifestyle Magazine.

8. Favorite place you have traveled?- I LOVE to travel. Especially alone. I think the best trip to date was my European adventure I took alone when I was 20. It involved a whole lot of exploring from Frankfurt to Dresden to Prague to Munich and finally to Paris.... and all within 12 days! Exhausting but SOOO worth it.

9. Defining moment in your design career?- Being asked to have my designs rebuilt and commissioned for a Houston Ballet II piece last season. 

10. Any advice for aspiring designers our there?- Be yourself.


Check out Jordan's AMAZING Etsy Shop-  Lone Reed Designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment